- Best practice is to design high-quality explicit instruction and then monitor the lesson. Teacher should use checks for understanding throughout the lesson, and perhaps exit tickets to inform the next lesson.
- In asynchronous classes, teachers can require the LMS to issue learning components in sequence, assigning first a video and then a short quiz to as a use check for understanding.
- In online classes, teachers can use several asynchronous, ongoing assessments to monitor whole-class understanding. Most experienced online teachers are going to use the online, written discussion questions as ongoing assessments of student knowledge.
- Computer-adaptive software for problem sets is one of my favorite ways to monitor student progress and it provides each student with a unique daily problem set.
- In classes without significant daily problem sets, teachers can use weekly quizzes to provide a snapshot of student learning.
- Do not assess on what was not taught.
Common Assessment Types:
- Discussion Questions
- Final Exams